Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The One Bite Wellness version of Larabar

For the record, I've been loving on Larabar since 2006 when I was traveling back and forth from Manhattan to attend a nutrition and health coaching school. They traveled well and, even when they were squished in my bag, it never affected their taste. My favorite Larabar flavors are Cashew Cookie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Coconut Cream Pie, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I have always had a box of them in my refrigerator and a couple in my purse or work-bag as insurance against getting hungry enough to start thinking that fast food would ever be a good choice.

That being said, my DIY self has known for quite a long time that I am perfectly capable of making my own delicious (raw, gluten-free, and organic) bars...or at least it thinks so. Let's give it a try....

Coconut, cacao, vanilla, cocoa powder, almonds, and dates
 
I took about 1/2 pound of dates, soaked them overnight, and removed the pits before throwing them in my high-powered blender. I added in cacao nibs, 3/4 cup of almonds, 1/2 cup coconut, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/3 cup of cocoa powder. The blender didn't like all these dry, sticky ingredients so the end product has large pieces of almonds and such. Next time, I will create more work for myself by using the wet container for dates and the dry container for the rest of it. Really looking forward to that :p. Anyway, it worked pretty well and here is the 8x8 pan of chocolate nut date bars which are 'resting' in the fridge before I cut them into sections and wrap them individually.
Bars-to-be! First, refrigeration.

So let's talk benefits:
1. fresh ingredients
2. <15 minutes from start to finish
3. save money
4. not support General Mills
5.  fun and creative ingredients


In the meantime, a spot of tea and bit of the bar are the perfect way to unwind from a busy day :).


2 comments: