Thursday, March 6, 2014

For the love of CHOCOLATE & Cacao

Milk chocolate bars and all their fancy nut and fruit versions used to be just delightful. As I learned that dark chocolate was better for health, I made the mistake of jumping from the low percentages up to 80%...and that was a bitter mistake I didn't repeat again. I used a version of the 'step-down' method, which was 'stepping-up' the percentages of cacao in my chocolates slowly.
Then, in a lecture with one of my teachers, the amazing David Wolfe, raw foods enthusiast, I learned Waaay more than I ever knew before about this...could it be true?....health food. Chocolate IS a health food, but only as you get close to the very source, the cacao bean.
Do you want a treat that will provide you with vitamins, minerals, and even FIBER? Holy crap (literally), it is way better tasting than the 'fiber alternatives' (think Metamucil).


Or, you could go crazy and get the 10 pound bag I do every year :)

But I would say that THIS option will provide you with enough as you get comfortable with trying more cacao in your foods during the next few months:

So how do you use it? Some quick ways are in oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt, baking, and trail mix are good places to start. More cacao recipes are on their way!
It's also Portlandia's 'safe word'
)

No comments:

Post a Comment